FRANKFORT, IL -- The new ProScribe™ tape measure from Swanson®Tool features a patented innovative, retractable scribe guide and centering pin to help contactors' measure and mark to cut lengths and radiuses. Marketed under the company's professional-grade Savage® brand, the ProScribe integrates several valuable marking functions, including the compass-like ability to measure and scribe circles, as well as the chalk-line-accuracy to measure and mark/score straight lines.
The retractable, 1-1/2-inch rigid scribe guide allows contractors to transfer a specific measurement by sliding the guide along the edge of a board or drywall sheet, while the reinforced tip is used to mark the work piece. Users can also easily position a case knife or carpenter's pencil against the tape's metal tip to cut/score or mark the desired width.
Many woodworkers already perform a similar marking function using the tape housing or an index finger as they slide the tape across a wood edge. But this technique often generates inaccurate measurements and painful wood slivers. The ProScribe's smooth, fence-like face allows a user to place their index finger and thumb behind the scribe guide to hold the device flush against the edge of the work surface, so that markings are consistent and accurate.
EASILY MEASURE/SCRIBE LINES, RADIUSES
Also housed in the retractable scribe guide is an exclusive centering pin that--like a carpenter's compass--allows users to precisely scribe a circle or arc or to mark the center point of a work piece.
"Many of the marking and measuring functions pros perform everyday are seamlessly integrated into the ProScribe tape, making it ideal for builders, contractors, carpenters and DIYers," says Loren Doppelt, Director of Product Development and Marketing for Swanson Tool Company Inc., a pioneer in layout, leveling and measuring tools since 1925.
"Whether you're taking off six inches from a sheet of plywood or scoring a circular pattern in a sheet of drywall, now there is a single contractor-grade tape that does it all."
MAGNETIZED TIP FOR INCREASED VERSATILITY
The ProScribe's oversized tip features two front-facing magnets, allowing it to easily connect with any metal object, such as ceiling grids, studs, beams or HVAC ductwork-- giving contractors maximum control and saving time. From the rear, the tape's heavy-duty metal tip also helps draw forward the scribe-guide element (when unlatched) through two magnets mounted to the innovative guide.
To ensure smooth movement and jobsite durability, the front of the scribe-guide--which faces the work surface--is reinforced with a metal straight edge.
EASY TO READ, DUAL-SIDED BLADE
Nylon-coated for extra durability, the double-sided blade features large, 3/8-inch markings for quick readings of both elevations and flat-surfaces--invaluable when measuring and marking a distance from an edge. The high visibility scale is graduated in 1/16-inch increments and clearly marked every 1/8-inch. From the 1-foot mark and up, the wide blade marks off feet, as well as inches.
Designed to boost contractor productivity, the Savage ProScribe includes the following features:
• Retractable scribe-guide. Easily deployed with a separate latch, the 1-1/2-inch rigid scribe-guide easily slides across any edge to transfer markings for parallel lengths.
• Exclusive centering pin. Housed on the end of the scribe-guide, a centering pin cleverly allows users to precisely scribe a radius or arc or to mark the center point of a work piece.
• High-visibility, dual-sided blade. The 1-inch wide, dual-sided blade features large 3/8-inch markings for quick and accurate readings.
• Quick reference symbols. Several easy-to-read markings eliminate guesswork, help boost jobsite productivity and increase accuracy. The tape features: 16-inch and 24-inch Stud-Centers to mark stud placement more easily, as well as 19.2-inch-Framing-Centers or "black truss" markings, used to position roofing rafters and/or floor joists.
• Lever action belt hook. Forget pinched fingers or wrestling a tape back on to a tool belt. Instead of a traditional flat clip, the ProScribe uses a thumb-lever-action clip to speed access to the tape and make storage quick and easy.
• Generous standout. The dual-sided blade remains rigid even when extended up to 8-feet. An easy-to-use thumb-lock holds the tape blade in place while taking measurements.
• Durable construction. The magnetic tip is steel-reinforced with three-rivets to ensure firm gripping strength as well as longevity. The high-impact-resistant case has a durable, nonslip, molded-rubber housing for added control and durability.
• Guaranteed quality. Swanson Tool guarantees all Savage products through a limited lifetime warranty.
The new Savage ProScribe tapes will be available nationwide in 16-foot and 25-foot lengths. Suggested retail prices for the new tapes range from $15.99 to $18.99, depending on length.